Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why Psalm 122? (Part 1)

Admittedly, I was not all that excited about taking a pilgrimage to Israel. I only applied because I was personally invited to, and then only after much goading from my wife Kathy. My reasons for my lack of interest:

I was glad when they said to me, 'Let us go to the house of the Lord!' Our feet our standing within your gates, O Jerusalem. (Psalm 122:1-2)

As much as I love reading and wrestling with the Bible, direct connections to actual physical places has never been important to me. The reality of One who creates, redeems, and sustains us - as proclaimed in our baptisms - is far more profound to me than the fact that the Jordan River is the particular river in which this One was baptized. Yet, Psalm 122 reminds us that the Bible is not just a story, it is our story, MY story - a real, live, physical story that takes place in history. Standing with my feet within the gates of Jerusalem makes real the fact that I live my life literally grounded and dwelling in the house of the Lord.

No comments: