Friday, April 25, 2008

Arriving at Galilee

How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD of hosts! My soul longs, indeed it faints for the courts of the LORD; mey heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God. (Psalm 84:1-2)

Well, it took me quite a while to get out of "regular life" mode and into "spiritual retreat" mode. During the plane rides from Atlanta to New York, and then from New York to Tel Aviv, I worked quite a few Su Duko puzzles, and I listened to music from High School Musical 2 and Hannah Montana on the plane's entertainment network. I may have been heading to Israel, but my mind and heart had a hard time leaving my Reed, Lucy, and Kathy behind.

Driving from Tel Aviv to Galilee was interesting, but not overly inspiring. The terrain is much like what the Southwestern United States looks like. I spent much of the ride wondering if I was ever going to get into being here. And then it happened. We arrived at Pilgerhaus Tabgha, on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. It is beautiful! It is wonderful! I love it! I finally feel like I'm on a pilgrimage. The facility has the feel of the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, Georgia (where I have enjoyed several silent retreats), but functions more like a Retreat Center (which it is!). Our room overlooks the Sea ... I will post a picture tomorrow after the sun comes up.

The Benedictine Monks and Sisters of the Church of the Multiplication conduct morning prayer services at 6:00 AM - I am looking forward to joining them tomorrow. The church takes its name from the tradition that this is where Jesus fed the 5000. We will visit the very mountain (!) tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you made it safe and sound. Can't wait to continue the journey with you.